Sunday 21 November 2010

F1 baby

I have to write half a lab report for the 29th November and a 2000 word essay for the 3rd of December. What have I done today?: Watched the F1 season review on iPlayer.
This time last week Sebastian Vettel took the F1 world championship. I now have my weekends back - okay it was only every other weekend, but it was about 6 hours every other weekend - and all I have to look forward to over the winter is seeing how the driver market will take shape. The 2010 season had 18 incredibly exciting races (and one boring one) that drew to a close last Sunday with incorrect tactical decisions leading to the underdog taking the title.
The only thing is, I haven't stopped talking about it yet. Here, to people in lectures and lab classes, to the sports guys down in the bar, you name it; they're all sick of me.
My brain comprises of 85% song lyrics, 10% F1 nonsense, 3% Doctor Who trivia and 2% everything else.
And that's just who I am (I was going have my percentages not adding up to 100%, but decided against it). I don't really watch the football much anymore - saying that I only watched it when it was on BBC, ITV or Five anyway because we don't have Sky Sports - although I do still enjoy watching a good game of football regardless of who is playing; the tennis season ended months ago and I don't have time for figuring out when the athletics are on. I especially have no time for The X Factor or I'm a Celeb... but that's a whole different blog post (which I probably won't write).
Formula One is my sport (And whoever says it isn't a sport can just leave right now! How many non-athletes can withstand 5 times the force of gravity on their neck muscles and lose 3kg of sweat in an hour and a half? Get real), I strongly support certain drivers and strongly dislike others. I like watching daring overtaking manoeuvres, I pray for rain to mix up tyre decisions and strategies and it makes my Sunday (or Friday or Saturday for that matter) when someone crashes. And, no, this doesn't make me sadistic or evil - anyone who says they don't enjoy it in F1 when someone crashes is just lying, no doubt about that (for the record, its fun as long as nobody gets hurt, because then it's just scary).
(I actually have a separate twitter account for F1 tweets, so my followers don't hate me on F1 weekends. @MiniMF1 if you're interested).

Random fact of Mini's life: The computers in the Levy Lab are named after F1 drivers, which is an endless source of amusement for me. For the last two weeks I have circled the lab trying to remember where each 'driver' is and identifying which ones are my favourites (Button, Webber, Hamilton) and which ones I cannot use on pain of death (Alonso and Schumacher). Nobody else quite understands this and I guess it is a little odd, but aren't we all from time to time?
Rumour mill: I've heard that Nico Hulkenberg may be Mercedes reserve driver for 2011. Now is it just me or does this seem like a step down from the race seat and the pole position he had at Williams? Think about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment