Sunday 10 October 2010

Not helping

None of this is filling me with any confidence.
My milk just turned sour.
My anti-virus database was a whole week out of date because ResNet was blocking the updates.
My debit card has been blocked because Barclays thinks that me paying rent was someone fraudulently using my card.
It's not easy trying to be grown up.

I've never experienced sour milk in my life. There are 4 people in my immediate family and we go through a bottle of milk in about two days. It never got to the point where it could go sour. We could buy four bottles a week and it'd be fine.
Mine's been open since last Sunday, so it was well over the three days that they tell you to use it by, but it still smelled and tasted okay so I didn't think there was any problem.
Luckily I didn't taste it. I knew it was getting near the cut off point so I decided I would smell it before I used it, just to check.
I was nearly sick.
I know that's the point. It's an evolutionary response. Sour milk could be harmful to me if I drank it - I could get ill, I could even die; which is most certainly maladaptive. We've evolved to find these smells repulsive so that I don't go and drink the sour milk and make myself very ill. But that still doesn't make it pleasant.
I also just made myself a cuppa to calm down before remembering I didn't have any milk. So I now have hot chocolate with no milk in it - which is actually what most people do anyway.

I wonder if I can sue the university for damages if my computer is destroyed by viruses that got in because their internet wouldn't let my anti-virus update.
When I configured ResNet it gave me a several page lecture about how I need to have up-to-date anti-virus software for my own security while I was using their internet service. I have perfectly adequate anti-virus software that I have been using for years. I've only ever had tracking cookies appear in my automatic weekly virus scans.
But this morning I discovered that my anti-virus hadn't been updated for 7 days. The internet here at university wasn't allowing the program to access the update server so that my database could be updated to the latest version.
I'm now anxiously awaiting the results of the latest virus scan. My incredibly vigilant firewall will probably have done a good job in keeping most of the stuff out - I get a request for permission when my web browsers try to access the internet! The database is up-to-date now, so hopefully it'll be okay and the scan will pick up anything that did get through.
(Another issue I'm having with programs trying to get access to internet is last.fm which also won't connect to their server to scrobble my tracks. But I'm working on that now. Help is appreciated though if you can provide it).

They say bad things come in threes.
My bank card has also been blocked. My parents keep getting phone calls at home from Barclays trying to contact me about possible fraudulent activity on my account.
I paid rent.
Granted, at a grand and a half, it's the largest payment that has ever left my account in one go. But I hold a student account with them. I received a payment from 'Student Finance England' a few days ago and then yesterday a payment to 'Lancaster University Online Payments' went out. I'm sure it's not that difficult to understand why that has happened. Now they want me to ring a number that will cost me 40p a minute on my mobile to sort out an issue that has left me with limited money.
I totally understand that logic.
So now I can't go to Waterstones tomorrow morning and buy the textbooks I need for my course. I have to go to my branch (luckily there is one on campus) and attempt to sort all of this out. And if a personal banker there can't do there will probably be a phone there that I can use for free -because God knows I need it.
I may now have to borrow the course textbooks from my flatmate Craig - who thankfully already bought them. At least till I can get them myself.

This whole 'being an independent adult' thing has hit me quite hard. I just rang my dad because I didn't know what to do. I've always thought I was quite independent but being largely independent while living in a house with your parents as a support network is completely different to waking up on campus with all of your flatmates either in bed or at sports trials. I'm getting there, but its taking me a little while.


My cuppa isn't bad without milk in it actually. Little bit more chocolatey, but obviously it was going to be.
Currently listening: Alex Day - The World is Mine (I Don't Know Anything). That is always helpful.

No comments:

Post a Comment