Wednesday 6 October 2010

Spoiling the Ending

Should you continue to read or watch something if you already know how it is going to end?
I don't mean re-reading a book or re-watching a film. I mean its the first time you've encountered the art in its entirety but you already know the end (or the big twists).

My prime example is The Sixth Sense. In case anyone reading hasn't seen it for some bizarre reason. I won't spoil it - but I think that knowing the end means you will watch the entire film differently. Personally, I only found out the end when I saw the end of the film but then when I watched it for the second time. I watched it completely differently.

I'm talking about this because I started a new book recently - and between the blurb and the first chapter I think I just about know what is going to happen. I have read some reviews and a lot of them have said that a lot of the story is based around how it is told - which is how it should be. This is encouraging me to carry on even though I may have spoiled the ending for myself.
And of course there is always the possibility that I'm wrong.

Did you watch The Sixth Sense for the first time when you already knew the ending? Have you continued to watch a series after discovering spoilers? Do you think it spoils the experience?

Currently listening: Awkward Ballads for the Easily Pleased - Tom Milsom

No comments:

Post a Comment